Here at Hartley’s we have a passion for ice cream made to a long-standing traditional recipe that has existed for over eighty years. The business was originally founded in the early 1930′s by Grayson Hartley, who would sell his ice cream from a motorbike and sidecar.
The company was taken over by his son, Bill Hartley, who ran the business successfully for over 40 years from the Creamery Shop at 24 Church Street, Egremont, where Hartley’s Ice Cream is still based to this day. Bill also introduced a small fleet of ice cream vans that sold his product throughout the local area.
Billy Hartley’s sister and brother-in-law, Hannah and Norman Caulfield, ran the business for a brief period during the late 1970′s. They were later joined in partnership by Les Richardson in 1981.
In 1983, Les became the sole proprietor. Les had worked in the business as a schoolboy and had strong ties with the Hartley family from an early age. Les’s son Mark then joined the business in 1991 and worked alongside his father until Les retired in 2003.
Mark now runs the business, supported by his wife Shirley, adhering to the same principles and traditional recipes that has made Hartley’s Ice Cream a firm favourite for over eighty years.